DBL Law is a full service law firm providing premier legal services and business advice in a collaborative manner with integrity, professionalism and respect as a strategic partner with our clients.
DBL Law fulfills its mission, through its attorneys and employees who are:
- Individuals with honesty and integrity
- Community and civic leaders
- Responsive, timely and versatile
- Inclusive and diverse
- Cohesive and collaborative
- Discerning advocates
- Supportive of a justice system for all
- Supportive of religious and moral values
- Striving to achieve results that exceed expectations for our clients
Depth And Breadth Of Experience
Our attorneys provide a high level of valuable legal services to private individuals, institutions and companies in many industries and areas of law, including:
A Tradition Of Excellence
Celebrating over 65 years of excellence, DBL Law is the largest Northern Kentucky-based law firm and one of the largest firms in Greater Cincinnati and Louisville. In addition to practicing law, DBL Law attorneys contribute to legal publications, lecture on practice-related topics, act as expert witnesses and help improve our community by serving on the boards of numerous charitable and non-profit organizations. For more details on the attorneys of DBL Law, click on an individual’s name on our Attorney Profiles page.
Elite Member of GGI
We are proud to be a selected member of GGI, Geneva Group International, one of the top ten worldwide alliances of independent, well-established and experienced accounting, consulting and law firms committed to providing clients with specialist solutions for their national and international business requirements. All GGI member firms are locally based and indigenous to their areas, providing the highest level of professionalism and expertise when it comes to knowledge of local business practices, laws and customs.
Awards and Recognition
DBL Law’s tradition of excellence is underscored by numerous professional awards for the firm and individual attorneys. Below is a sampling of these awards.
- DBL Law has been named one of the 100 Best Places To Work in Kentucky by the Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, the Kentucky Society for Human Resource Management (KYSHRM) and ClearPath Mutual Insurance Company.
- The Northern Kentucky Bar Association has named DBL Law its 2019 Wood Herron & Evans Exceptional Service Award recipient. The award is presented to an individual or firm who has made meritorious contributions to the enhancement of the legal community.
- The statewide civil defense lawyers’ organization Kentucky Defense Counsel presented a special Executive Committee Award to DBL Law partner David Kramer upon his stepping down after nearly seven years as Chair of KDC’s Amicus Curiae Committee. The award was presented at the organization’s Fall Conference in Louisville on November 15, 2019. David Kramer served as Chair of the Amicus Curiae Committee from early 2013 through November 2019. During that time, KDC submitted amicus curiae (“friend of the court”) briefs in 13 Kentucky appellate cases. Of the ten cases that have been decided, appellate court opinions aligned with positions advocated by KDC in eight of them. Kramer co-authored amicus briefs in two of those eight cases as well as one of the three that remain pending on appeal. He helped select cases and enlist authors as well as reviewed and edited briefs in the remaining cases.
David Kramer accepts the Kentucky Defense Counsel special Executive Committee Award.
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers 2020 Best Law Firm Rankings has named DBL Law to the “Best Law Firms” list. DBL Law received a Tier 1 ranking in Health Care Law (Cincinnati), as well as Tier 2 rankings in Banking & Finance Law (Cincinnati), Business Organizations (Cincinnati), Commercial Litigation (Cincinnati), and Criminal Defense: White Collar (Louisville). DBL Law has been consecutively named to the list since the publication’s inception in 2010.
DBL Law has been consistently named to the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Top Workplaces list since the program launched in 2011. The list of Cincinnati regional employers is compiled using information gathered by national surveying firm Workplace Dynamics.
The Best Lawyers in America™ (2020 Edition)
The following DBL Law partners have been selected as Best Lawyers for 2020:
- Gerald Benzinger – Health Care Law
- Jim Dressman – Banking & Finance Law and Commercial Litigation
- Mark Guilfoyle – Administrative/Regulatory Law
- Ellie Houston – Litigation – Health Care and Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants
- David Kramer – Litigation – Health Care
- Matt Klein – Health Care Law
- Andrew Pellino – Medical Malpractice – Defendants
- Jeff Schlosser – Banking & Finance Law and Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Kent Wicker – Criminal Defense: White Collar and Litigation – Antitrust
DBL Law attorneys selected to the 2020 Kentucky Super Lawyers list:
- Mark D. Guilfoyle – Administrative Law
- Robert M. Hoffer – Employment & Labor
- David V. Kramer – Medical Malpractice
- Richard G. Meyer – Business Litigation
- Elizabeth G. Weber – Bankruptcy
- Kent Wicker – White Collar Crimes
DBL Law attorneys selected to the 2020 Kentucky Rising Stars list:
- Nicholas C. Birkenhauer – Employment & Labor
- David Dirr – Health Care
- Michael J. Enzweiler – Medical Malpractice
- Justin Knappick – Civil Litigation
- Ryan M. McLane – Civil Litigation
- Andrew Pellino – Medical Malpractice
DBL Law attorney selected to the 2020 Ohio Rising Stars list:
- Katie Cassidy Tranter – Employment and Labor
Individual community service awards and recognition can be found on the DBL attorney profiles.
Excellence in Service
DBL Law attorneys and staff carry on a tradition of dedicated service to a wide range of community organizations, including, but not limited to the following. Visit individual attorney bios for additional details.
- 3CDC – Cincinnati Center City Development Corporation
- Alliance for Catholic Urban Education
- Arthritis Foundation
- Baptist Health Foundation
- Boy Scouts of America, Dan Beard Council
- Buffalo Trace Children’s Advocacy Center
- CancerFree Kids
- Care Net Pregnancy Services
- Catholic Inner-city Schools Education Fund (CISE)
- Children’s Home of Northern Kentucky
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Cincinnati Parks Foundation
- Cincinnati Rotary Club
- Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber
- Covington Business Council
- Crestview Hills City Council
- DCCH Center for Children and Families
- Diocese of Covington Catholic Charities
- Family Nurturing Center
- Freestore Foodbank
- GLI – Greater Louisville, Inc.
- Home of the Innocents
- HR Collaborative
- Jeffersontown (KY) Chamber of Commerce
- Junior Achievement of OKI Partners
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)
- Kenton County Airport Board
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
- KET (Kentucky Education Television)
- Kentucky Symphony Orchestra
- Kentucky Workforce Center
- Kentucky SHRM
- Legal Aid of the Bluegrass
- Life Learning Center
- Louisville Bar Association
- Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
- NKYP – Northern Kentucky Young Professionals
- Northern Kentucky Society for Human Resource Management
- Northern Kentucky Tri-ED
- Northern Kentucky Volunteer Lawyers
- Norton Children’s Foundation
- Notre Dame Academy
- People Working Cooperatively
- Salvation Army of Northern Kentucky
- Serra International
- St. Charles Care Center
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare Foundation
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare Board of Trustees
- St. Vincent de Paul
- Thomas More College
- Welcome House of Northern Kentucky
DBL Law Pledges $1M For Cancer Center
DBL Law pledged $1 million to St. Elizabeth Foundation in support of the planned St. Elizabeth Cancer Center in Edgewood, KY. The donation will be used in support of the $140 million construction project.
DBL Law Women of Excellence
In 2012, DBL Law created its Women of Excellence Initiative to establish an environment that encourages and supports investing in and engaging with women. Empowerment, support and advancement of women align with DBL Law’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
DBL Law has a history of hiring, promoting and supporting women attorneys. The firm fully supports its Women of Excellence initiative by sponsoring events for professional women. DBL Law also recognizes the need for flexibility for all attorneys to achieve work-life balance while meeting client needs and delivering excellent legal services.
The Women of Excellence initiative has assisted DBL Law’s female attorneys in being leaders in the community and successfully partnering with many organizations. The Women of Excellence pursue opportunities to invest in and engage with women, including:
- Hosting an annual DBL Law Women of Excellence Signature “Thank You” event. According to DBL Law partner Betsy Weber, “The Signature event gives us an opportunity to thank our clients while exposing them to an incredible networking atmosphere. We believe that it fosters new business opportunities and friendships among the women in our network.”
- Offering targeted professional networking and development opportunities for female business clients, including the Women of Excellence Book Club.
- Partnering with community organizations committed to the inclusion and advancement of women, including:
- BizWomen Cabinet, Cincinnati Business Courier
- Cincinnati Women’s Policy Circle
- CREW Network
- Family Scholar House, Louisville
- NKY Chamber of Commerce Women’s Initiative
- St Elizabeth Foundation Gift of Health
Highlights from the DBL Law Signature Women’s Event, September 2019. Video credit: Tyler Bennett