- A Cornerstone Of DBL’s Practice
- Helping Clients Structure And Manage Businesses For Tax Advantage
- Mergers, Acquisitions And Other Business Transactions
- Practice Group Leader for Business Organizations & Taxation is James A. Dressman III
Assisting Business: The DBL Heritage
Business organizations and taxation has been a cornerstone of Dressman Benzinger LaVelle since the firm’s inception. We represent businesses of all sizes, from small start-up operations to medium and large organizations.
Establishing A Legal Structure
DBL attorneys in the Business Organizations and Taxation section will, after consideration of a client’s needs and tax situation, assist in the selection and formation of the appropriate structure for the proposed business enterprise, i.e., corporation, limited liability company, or partnership.
And Following Through With Sound Counsel
On an ongoing basis, DBL attorneys advise clients on all aspects of business, finance and taxation law, including:
- Requirements of federal, state and local laws
- Drafting and negotiation of contracts
- Preparation of audit letters, opinion letters and compliance programs
- Design and operation of stock option, employee compensation and retirement plans, including leveraged employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
DBL attorneys attend shareholder and director meetings in order to advise clients with regard to the legal issues confronting them, including private placement and securities. For public offerings of securities, DBL will coordinate efforts with special outside counsel.
We represent our business clients in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, as well as the disposition of part or all of their businesses. DBL attorneys will:
- Prepare and negotiate purchase/sale agreements
- Perform and manage legal and regulatory due diligence reviews
- Consult with in-house counsel
- Advise directors and officers as to their fiduciary duties and responsibilities
DBL Teamwork Meets Clients’ Needs
Because client needs call upon many areas of general business law, attorneys in the Business Organizations and Taxation section collaborate frequently with other DBL attorneys who handle banking, employment and labor matters, commercial real estate, debtor and creditor rights, debt collection and litigation.
Representing Public Trust and Nonprofit Virtue
DBL attorneys also have experience in public finance and related transactions and have represented business users of private activity bonds. We have worked with state developmental offices, especially in Kentucky and Ohio, to obtain incentives for construction or expansion of clients’ facilities.
In addition, DBL attorneys in the Business Organizations & Taxation Practice Group represent many nonprofit entities, including religious, charitable and governmental organizations. DBL attorneys have assisted in the formation of such organizations, obtained tax-exempt status for them and provided ongoing legal assistance and support. DBL has also provided legal and tax services in the formation of foundations for its nonprofit clients.
Practice Related News