- A Cornerstone Of DBL Law’s Practice
- Helping Clients Structure And Manage Businesses For Tax Advantage
- Mergers, Acquisitions And Other Business Transactions
- Practice Group Leader for Business Transactional is Jim Dressman
Assisting Business: The DBL Law Heritage
Business and Transactional law has been a cornerstone practice since our firm’s inception. We represent businesses of all sizes, from small start-up operations to medium and large organizations.
Establishing A Legal Structure
DBL Law attorneys in the Business and Transactional Law practice group will, after consideration of a client’s needs and tax situation, assist in the selection and formation of the appropriate structure for the proposed business enterprise, i.e., corporation, limited liability company, or partnership.
And Following Through With Sound Counsel
On an ongoing basis, DBL Law attorneys advise clients on all aspects of business, finance and taxation law, including:
- Requirements of federal, state and local laws
- Drafting and negotiation of contracts
- Preparation of audit letters, opinion letters, and compliance programs
- Design and operation of stock option, employee compensation, and retirement plans, including leveraged employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
DBL Law attorneys attend shareholder and director meetings in order to advise clients with regard to the legal issues confronting them, including private placement and securities. For public offerings of securities, DBL Law will coordinate efforts with special outside counsel.
We represent our business clients in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, as well as the disposition of part or all of their businesses. DBL Law attorneys will:
- Prepare and negotiate purchase/sale agreements
- Perform and manage legal and regulatory due diligence reviews
- Consult with in-house counsel
- Advise directors and officers as to their fiduciary duties and responsibilities
DBL Law Teamwork Meets Clients’ Needs
Because client needs call upon many areas of general business law, attorneys in this practice group collaborate frequently with other DBL Law attorneys who handle banking, employment and labor matters, commercial real estate, debtor and creditor rights, debt collection and litigation.
Representing Public Trust and Nonprofit Virtue
DBL Law attorneys also have experience in public finance and related transactions and have represented business users of private activity bonds. We have worked with state developmental offices, especially in Kentucky and Ohio, to obtain incentives for construction or expansion of clients’ facilities.
In addition, DBL Law attorneys in this Practice Group represent many nonprofit entities, including religious, charitable, and governmental organizations. DBL Law attorneys have assisted in the formation of such organizations, obtained tax-exempt status for them, and provided ongoing legal assistance and support. DBL Law has also provided legal and tax services in the formation of foundations for its nonprofit clients.
Practice Related News